Louisiana, at least this part of it, is very foreign to me. The way they construct their road systems seems to be deliberately designed to increase the chances of a high-speed collision. It got warm today, but the constant breeze made it not warm, and actually cool at times. The sun setting in the trees conveys the essence of what I expected from the Gulf Coast, even though we are a ways inland.
And the food. We had dinner tonight at Prejean's, a well-recommended Cajun establishment about 9 miles away. I had a cup of their 3-time gold-medal winning sausage and chicken gumbo and a crab and crawfish-stuffed Cajun-seasoned fillet of Red Snapper. Both were beyond delicious, but the accompaniments were intriguing as well. I'm not sure what they were, exactly. One was a ball of rice which the server said was cooked with ground meat. The other was a cooked pastry shell, such as you would use for a dessert tart, filled with something that was like corn but different. And over the snapper, they served a ladleful of crawfish etouffle that was to die for.
We leave for Florida tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment